Thread: EU Cookie Law

Default EU Cookie Law

As some of you may know the EU have brought in a law so a site has to ask you before it places a cookie on your system.
    Frankly I work hard not to have pop-ups and external advertising because I cannot stand them!
    Here's what 123-Reg say -

Article

Why a secure and PCI Compliant site should have to ask someone (who may not have a clue - even after an explanation) for permission to place a cookie on their system is just crazy!
    We could implement this and on every page you land you are asked (see NVIDIA's site) or of course we could add another cookie to your system so our site doesn't ask you again! D'OH!

I will post a table of cookie information later.

Default Our Cookies

Limited Edition Computers - Forum Cookies

Cookie Name
    bb_lastvisit, bb_lastactivity, bb_userid, bb_password, bb_sessionhash, bb_thread_lastview

Nature of Cookie
    bb_lastvisit, bb_lastactivity, bb_userid, bb_password are persistent cookies that last 12 months,
    bb_sessionhash, bb_thread_lastview are session cookies.

First or Third Party
    These are first party cookies generated when you visit our forum

Purpose of Cookie

These are cookies for forum functionality

Limited Edition Computers - Shop Cookies

Cookie Name
    osCid

Nature of Cookie
    osCid is a session cookie

First or Third Party
    These are first party cookies generated when you visit our shop

Purpose of Cookie
    This is a session cookie created by our shop software

Limited Edition Computers - Google Analytics Cookies

Cookie Name

__utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmz

Nature of Cookie
    __utma is a persistent cookie. __utmb and __utmc are session cookies that last for a maximum of 30 minutes. __utmz is a persistent cookie that lasts for 6 months.

First or Third Party
    These are third party cookies that are placed on your device to allow us use of the Google analytics service.

Purpose of Cookie

These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our sites. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited. Further information is available about these cookies here: http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/anal...yoverview.html.
    Last edited by Lloyd_mcse; 20-06-2012 at 13:29.

Hi Lloyd

I thought sites were relying on the 'implied consent' thing for cookies:

- Implied consent is a valid form of consent and can be used in the context of compliance with the revised rules on cookies.
    - If you are relying on implied consent you need to be satisfied that your users understand that their actions will result in cookies being set. Without this understanding you do not have their informed consent.

from http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06..._law_research/ and the 'implied consent' link therein

I thought this was reason for the floating bars I'm starting to see, on sites like theregister, saying things like click to accept cookies or stay here and get our cookies anyway

Probably counts as a pop-up in your book, makes me wonder now how big the pop-up has to be, it'd probably fit in your header bar easily enough.

I'm more annoyed about the Digital economy act that's still incoming. I mentioned it ages ago, the three alleged strikes for downloading and your internet gets suspended law.
    Last edited by Lloyd_mcse; 30-06-2012 at 09:37.