Thread: EK-FC4870x2 - Watercooling my GFX :)

Default EK-FC4870x2 - Watercooling my GFX :)

Well after getting sick of watching my idle GFX temps hover around 60 and the sheer volume of the fan on 100% I decided to do something about it and but my GFX Card a pressie:

Opening the box the full cover block is rather nice

After removing the stock fan and heat sinks there was a lot of gunk and residue

So a quick wipe over with some nail varnish remover later:

The hardest part (so far) was the cutting of the heat pads - It doesn't help when the instructions have the wrong sizes and they dont give you an awful lot of extra incase you feck it up

Pads on:

Last edited by Lloyd_mcse; 11-11-2008 at 16:21. Reason: title edit

So the first side of the cover slips on:

And then the other:

Those screws, even at only just "tight" bend the card like a disfigured banana - they just need to catch and take up the slack (one its been on and tested for a few days ill try tightening them up a tad more).

Once that was done, plumbed the bugger in and flicked the power switch ...................

PC booted, but the monitor instantly drops to "power saving mode" - undid everything, resteated everything, lossened the screws off and - same thing

Rinse repeat for at least 10 times - and now really nit impressed.

I tried a different lead, a different monitor, a VGA lead instead of a DVI-D - same problem and was now seriously thinking I had goosed my GFX card.

I could tell that the PC was booting into windows, but I just wasnt getting any signal.

After some furious googling I tried a CMOS / BIOS reset and thankfully that appears to have worked- all fired up now:

It has rasied my CPU temps by a few degrees (but still OK @ 3.6GHz) but the GPU temps have over halved (to mid 30s) and the card used to regularly hit 100 after a good session and now tops out at 60 so all in all im impressed.

As I say ill give it a day or two and see if slowly tightening the back screws helps with the temps before the card bends too much

looking sweet mate

If your having issues there is supposed to one screw left out (IIRC) as it shorts the GFX card. i'll see if i can find the thread bbs...

EDIT: Here's the link....

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ghlight=4870X2 Hope it helps
    Main PC :
    | Intel i9-9900K @ Default
    | ASUS Maximus XI Hero
    | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz
    | ASUS TUF RTX 3060 OC Edition 12GB
    | Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe
    | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe
    | Sound Blaster AE-7
    | Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD
    | ​Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB
    | Corsair HX850 Platinum
    | ASUS ProArt PA279CV 27" 4K
    | Windows 11 Professional x64
    | Full PC List |

Thanks

I have removed the screw (between the barbs) on the 6th pic - there was no nylon washer for it

The issues appear (cross fingers) to have gone - It looks like some GFX / Mobo combinations don't like overclocking and changing components, but how it knows ive added a waterblock to my GFX i don't know

The CMOS / BIOS reset appears to have worked

Told you he would be up to something.....nice tb.... really nice. You gonna go for another 3dmark 06 run?

i7 4770k 4.6ghz/Z-87 MSI G45 / X2 GTX770 Amp SLI / 16gb corsair vengeance/ X-fi Titanium soundcard/ Galaxy 1000 watt psu/250gb Samsung ssd/Crucial 128gb ssd /Level 10 GT case/27" Qnix LPS 2560x1440 Monitor / Ideazon stealth gaming keyboard/ Rat 7 MMO/windows 7 x64 Pro. Huge penis and testicles.

lol ya left the stickers on the mobo :P

Also what tuinb u usin as it looks SWEET

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    lol ya left the stickers on the mobo :P

Also what tuinb u usin as it looks SWEET
    Thanks !

lol i dont think they're stickers - theyre metal !

The tubing is 8/10 mm XSPC tubing linky