| Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe
    | Sound Blaster AE-7
    | Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD
    | ​Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB
    | Corsair HX850 Platinum
    | ASUS ProArt PA279CV 27" 4K
    | Windows 11 Professional x64
    | Full PC List |

I'd have a play with the ISO setting but never tried mate so you can let us know what to do when you get it sussed

Most of the fun is playing about and seeing the results

Not sure, but do you need a ND filter for star scene time-lapse ?

Quote Originally Posted by {SAS}TB View Post
    I'd have a play with the ISO setting but never tried mate so you can let us know what to do when you get it sussed

Most of the fun is playing about and seeing the results

Not sure, but do you need a ND filter for star scene time-lapse ?
    Not heard of anyone using a filter for star time lapse....think thats more for fireworks where the sudden bright light needs filtering?....heres a decent timelapse video using same camera body as mine.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJmTbhC1O3s play in HD full screen.

Read about what iso to use for nightscenes.....around 1600 to 3200......the higher the more noise it generates so gonna try 800 then 1600.....ive seen my 600D at 3200 on a youtube clip and it did look a tad grainy.

i7 4770k 4.6ghz/Z-87 MSI G45 / X2 GTX770 Amp SLI / 16gb corsair vengeance/ X-fi Titanium soundcard/ Galaxy 1000 watt psu/250gb Samsung ssd/Crucial 128gb ssd /Level 10 GT case/27" Qnix LPS 2560x1440 Monitor / Ideazon stealth gaming keyboard/ Rat 7 MMO/windows 7 x64 Pro. Huge penis and testicles.

ND filters are basically (very basically) sunglasses for your lens

If you want a long exposure they block the light light and allow your lens / aperture to be "open" without the picture just being white from over exposure

Try setting your camera to "bulb" mode or a long (even a second or two) exposure time and take a pic - it will be just white

By blocking the light (or most of it, you can get grades of filters) you can get different effects or allow you to get pictures you cant without the filter

An example of this is when you see "soft" or "blurred" water or clouds like:

The "softness" of the water is by a long exposure (and thus getting the movement of the spray from the water) which you couldn't do without a filter

Here's a with / without:

The lest hand site is a "normal" shot the right is long exposure with an ND filter

I've heard of people using ND filters to block out light pollution during star trails a "graded" filter (one half a dark filter the other plain) to block out light from a horizon or something

Not something ive ever done, so was just curious

So, are you stitching a time-lapse set of images or a long exposure to get the trails ?

Well at the minute i can't do a thing as ive just took it back to currys and got my money back......basically theres 2 types of 18-55mm lens with these kits....one has IS (Image stabilization) and the other doesnt....it's only an extra £10 for IS and jessops said they would wave the tenner if i got my money back from currys and match the currys non IS price if i buy it from them. ......i also scored for a half price Canon bag from currys for buying it with the camera was normally £40 and paid £20.....they didnt notice on the receipt lol.

Im piecing them together as i don't want any trails (dont mind satellite trails or meteor etc) i think it's 30 second exposure with a 5 second gap....or is it the other way round lol.....not sure tbh......i would have tried it tonight if i had a camera and wasnt going to the quayside to get hammered.

I'm thinking of places to go for scenery?.....i know i have the scottish borders on my doorstep and northumberland but i quite like to photograph old objects, like buildings and old abandoned stuff......i have this image in my head of that old rusty tugboat you shot....where was that btw.....not really into boats but that looked great.

oh.....and all the best for the new year lads.

i7 4770k 4.6ghz/Z-87 MSI G45 / X2 GTX770 Amp SLI / 16gb corsair vengeance/ X-fi Titanium soundcard/ Galaxy 1000 watt psu/250gb Samsung ssd/Crucial 128gb ssd /Level 10 GT case/27" Qnix LPS 2560x1440 Monitor / Ideazon stealth gaming keyboard/ Rat 7 MMO/windows 7 x64 Pro. Huge penis and testicles.

Defo want IS mate - you did the right thing

There must be some old buildings / architecture off the quayside and Grey Street ?

If you want abandoned old stuff look online for Urbexing or Urban Exploring - they should give you some good ideas

There must be some old ruins and stuff on the moors around Northumberland / Hexham ?

Cant wait to see your trails mate - ill have to give it a go sometime

The old boats are on the river Weaver which runs along the estate where I live:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/previe...!2m1!1e3&fid=7

And the one i think you mean is this ?

Have a good one all and Happy New Year

im off to get pissed

Cheers Jon.......Just looked at that map and i thought you lived way down the country for some reason (your not that far from me)......if you have any spare days in the summer and fancy a day out taking pics i would be into that.

Im just waiting for the wife to get ready.....shes been upstairs for around 30 minutes so about 2 hours to go.

Those pics with the ND filter are amazing. .....oh and apparently my camera hasnt got bulb mode but i have ordered a intervalmetre which has that function on.

No probs matey

My Parents live about 15 miles south of Boro and its 2 - 2.5 hours from here - not that far

Could do a meet when the weathers better - im sure there must be some good spots mid way around skipton or somewhere or into the lakes ?

Bulb mode may just be a Nikon thing, but im sure yours will have it

2.5 hours, sounds about right - were staying in and having a nice meal and a "few" drinks but still intended getting hammered

Quote Originally Posted by {SAS}TB View Post
    "few" drinks but still intended getting hammered
    So just a normal night in for you then.

Skipton.....heard of it.....lakes would be nice.

Got my new camera with the IS button on zee lens today....also got a clear uv lens protector and a crown lens hood to stop any unwanted light, and a Time lapse intervalometer remote timer to set it to take pics every whatever time you want and exposure times above 30 seconds.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1511831052...84.m1497.l2649

Just waiting for my extra battery and battery pack that fits underneath the camera to extend the life.

TB has asked me to go trainspotting with him and take pics of trains.....i obviously said no as this would be taking things too far.

Very good mate - be sure to get some pics up

choo choo :P

Just got the camera out the back at the moment doing some timelapse.....what a carry on i had setting up the intervalometer.....i set it to expose for 5 seconds with a 10 second interval and it was taking like 10 pics one after the other with no delay then stopping then taking 5 again?....i finally sussed it after an hour of changing settings and re programming it 100 times that i had the camera on continuous shooting that i had set for HDR.....Doh. gonna leave it for about an hour and a half and then off out with the kids to do some more still shots.

About 30 seconds after i typed this it started raining.........abort!!! abort!!!
    Last edited by Ya Mother; 03-01-2014 at 12:24.

So you've been having fun then lol
    Looking forward to seeing some more pictures
    Main PC :
    | Intel i9-9900K @ Default
    | ASUS Maximus XI Hero
    | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz
    | ASUS TUF RTX 3060 OC Edition 12GB
    | Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe
    | Sound Blaster AE-7
    | Corsair HX850 Platinum
    | ASUS ProArt PA279CV 27" 4K
    | Windows 11 Professional x64
    | Full PC List |

I got 168 pics which equates to a 5 second timelapse lol........if it's not raining it's drizzling or windy?....i might do one from the bedroom window of the street?

Cool, I've been meaning to buy a tripod for a while so I can set my camera up at the patio doors to get some good "bird on feeder" pics.
    And with any luck get some more of the Sparrow hawk that swings by from time to time.
    Last time I had to run upstairs and get my camera; taken from kitchen window...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Main PC :
    | Intel i9-9900K @ Default
    | ASUS Maximus XI Hero
    | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz
    | ASUS TUF RTX 3060 OC Edition 12GB
    | Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe
    | Sound Blaster AE-7
    | Corsair HX850 Platinum