Thread: [Project Log] {SAS}TB : Project CaseSwap

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [Project Log] {SAS}TB : Project CaseSwap

{SAS}TB : Project CaseSwap

Introduction
    So I've had my Coolermaster Stacker 832 for some time now, it's been hacked and chopped about bits stripped off and stuck on and although served me very well, I felt it was time for a new case.

I loved the Corsair 800D when it first came out and very almost bought one, but two things put me off, the first was the hot swap bays at the front - apart from being of no real use to me (I can count the times I used the IcyDock on one hand, twice ) I read reports of the door being quite flimsy, but I also thought it spoilt the sleek look of the front of the case.

The second thing I didn't really like was the side window. In particular I don't like the way that it extends below the PSU shelf, showing off the PSU bay, PSU, cables etc. I did toy with getting a solid side panel from the corsair shop and getting a custom side panel, but that would still leave the hot swap door! So when the 700D was released it made the choice a lot easier, the hot swap door has gone and a solid side panel to mod

The idea was a straight swap of my kit from the old CM into the new, modded, 700D with a few "odds and sods" including swapping the stock fans out to match in with the colour scheme.

The Kit
    Case: Coolermaster Stacker 832 outgoing, Modded Corsair 700D incoming
    PSU: Corsair HX1000
    Mobo: Gigabyte UD5
    CPU: i7D0@4.2GHz
    RAM: 6x2048 Patriot Viper@1600
    GPUs: 2xATI 5870
    HDDs: Crucial 128GB SSD, 2xWD Raptor 74GB in RAID0, 300GB WD Storage and a new 1TB Hitatchi external backup
    Cooling: Custom Water Setup - Laing 18W pump, Thermochill PA120.3 with XSPC Top/Res, Apogee GTZ with Bitspower and Koolance fittings and accessories. NZXT Fans.
    Other: Dell Ultrasharp 2407, Razer Lachesis, G15, Windows7Prox64

The Log

The Existing Case

Side Shot

Internal Shot

Night Shot (No UV or LEDs - that's purely the Mobo LEDs on the Res)

The New Case
    I always thought the CM was a big case, which it is, but the 700D is "slightly" bigger (Sorry for the poor pic quality )

700D / CM 832
    And the new case, side off, gagging to be filled

As I said, the case has been modded, not heavily, but to a great standard and Quality by Chilled PC (thanks Tom, your a star ), The two mods are the cutting out of the top grilles and replaced with a custom ("old" spacing) Anodised 120.3 Rad Grill (25mm spacing) and the aforementioned custom side panel. Nice and simple, nothing OTT but a fantastic job, as always .
    The new side panel cut sits just on the line of the PSU shelf (thus hiding the PSU bay) and has a clear acrylic window and finished with blow hole trim.

The Mods! Rad Grille and Window

The next step was to strip the old rig down and, in the process, turn the study into a complete and utter sty (still needs tiding now )

Mess!

Luckily I had an old Thermaltake Shark lurking about which became an old fan store

Fans, fans and more fans.

The Install
    So, as I said I was adding a few "odds and sods", I took the opportunity to install all new hosing (XSPC 7/16" ID - 5/8" OD), some NZXT pre-braided cables for the ATX, Mobo 8-pin and the GPU PCIe and new fans for the rad (NZXT 120MM 9 Blade Rifle Bearing Fan 47CFM FN-120RB) and swapping the existing case fans for NZXT 140MM 9 Blade Rifle Bearing Fan 62CFM FN-140RB and a a2g few black fan grilles and s few unplanned items, which ill come onto later .....

Some fans
    Last edited by {SAS}TB; 09-07-2010 at 21:54.