Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project HexaCore

Default Project HexaCore

Towards the end of September I'm almost certainly going to be switching over to AMD, and adding a nice performance increase in the process.

I currently have:

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 3.7GHz
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R
    Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800MHz

I'm going to be swapping these out for:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 1090T (Depends if I can get a good deal)
    Asrock 890GX Extreme 3
    G.Skill Eco DDR3 1600MHz

In addition to these changes, I will also be "upgrading" my current case which is a CM690 to a CM690 II Advanced. Mainly because it looks slightly better and it has the big bonus of being able to fit dual 240mm internal radiators. I just hope that overclockers will have it in stock by the end of September since they are the only retailer who currently sell it with the acrylic window included. Otherwise I'd have to buy the side-panel separately.

I already have a Swiftech MCR-220 and I will be adding another EK 240 Radiator.

I will be using the EK Supreme HF AM3 cpu waterblock.

Below is a rough idea of what it's going to look like inside.

I am using two radiators as I am very interested in adding the GPU in to the mix a few months down the line (maybe a Christmas present) however I can't afford to buy a GPU block along with everything else.

I will also be changing out my Yate Loon fans and swapping them for Sythe Gentle Typhoons which have the best noise to cfm ratio and are supposedly great for medium sized radiators. I want this setup to be as quiet as possible.

I guess that's it for now until things are under-way; which should be toward the end of September / start of October. Please share any thoughts or comments that you may have.
    The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer.
    What did they look like? Ships? Motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways?
    I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day. I got in.

looking forward to this
    Main PC :
    | Intel i9-9900K @ Default
    | ASUS Maximus XI Hero
    | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz
    | ASUS TUF RTX 3060 OC Edition 12GB
    | Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe
    | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe
    | Sound Blaster AE-7
    | Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD
    | ​Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB
    | Corsair HX850 Platinum
    | ASUS ProArt PA279CV 27" 4K
    | Windows 11 Professional x64
    | Full PC List |

Nice cad drawing there Outcasst
    Asus P8Z68 Deluxe ~ Intel i7 2600K 3.4ghz ~ Corsair A70 ~ 8GB Corsair Vengance (Blue) ~ Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II ~
    Asus Xonar DX ~ Seasonic M12 700 watt PSU ~ Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

ms paint ftw
    The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer.
    I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day. I got in.

Lol!!!!
    Asus P8Z68 Deluxe ~ Intel i7 2600K 3.4ghz ~ Corsair A70 ~ 8GB Corsair Vengance (Blue) ~ Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II ~
    Asus Xonar DX ~ Seasonic M12 700 watt PSU ~ Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I knew I forgot something, I'm not sure of the measurements of your chosen rad and PSU but people are having trouble fitting 240 rads in the bottom (the thicker rads that is).
    For instance I had issues with Feser 240 mounts in the floor with a Corsair 750watt modular PSU, and there was no way to fit the feser in the roof at all.
    Anyway I'm going to look again at this in the near future (I need to get going on my project :s)
    Main PC :
    | ASUS Maximus XI Hero
    | Sound Blaster AE-7
    | Corsair HX850 Platinum
    | Full PC List |

My PSU is just the standard size so it should have no problem fitting in there.
    Last edited by Outcasst; 12-09-2010 at 10:12.

Update: Still waiting on funds, however I'm reconsidering since I can grab an i7 + high-end motherboard for a very decent price.

Nice mate
    I am also holding off on my CM-690 project due to PSU and Rad issues, and I needed the qx6700 back in action, so am just using air on it atm.
    Hopefully I will be able to use my rig 1 hardware when I get i7 - hardware shuffle
    Main PC :
    | ASUS Maximus XI Hero
    | Sound Blaster AE-7
    | Corsair HX850 Platinum
    | Full PC List |

Ok, looks like I'm back with the AMD since I missed out on that i7 deal. Should be getting funds this week or next week and then the build will get underway!

Righty, change of plan again! lol.

Didn't have enough cash to get the hardware upgrade so I've just purchased the new loop parts and the new case.

I have also bought 3 Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1450RPM which I believe were the last ones available in the UK (there is a shortage). Couldn't find a fourth so had to grab one of the 1850RPM models from ebay. Will just lower the speed with a fan controller.

Build is done Will have pics up some time tomorrow.